V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Sunday, October 29, 2023

Aravod Looso in Translation

Dr. Armenag Yeghiayan sent the following note to the readers of his weekly mailings.

"Dear friends,

          Last Wednesday, you received my article entitled "Morning Light", as well as twotercets - note: a stanza of poetry with three lines -, written by Nerses the Graceful (Shnorali). (http://vhapelian.blogspot.com/2023/10/aravod-looso_6.html)

           Today you are receiving all the 36 terces, of that poem, both in classical and in western Armenian.

           This unique creation, which is a prayer at the same time, has enlightened the mind and soul of our nation for a thousand years and has guided us.

Today, more than ever, we as a nation, be it a leader or led; the old or the young, without exception is in  need of its light.Therefore, we should continue to rely on it in our daily readings. Let's start our day with that.

           Courageously and consistently commit yourself to reading it. You will soon find that a deep connection will arise in you towards it. You will also feel that it bestows upon you thespiritual grace for your daily endeavor and to your whole life.(http://vhapelian.blogspot.com/2023/10/blog-post_29.html)

          Stay well and God be with you." 

I copied Archbishop Diran Nersoyan’s translation of the prayer. Each tercet is preceded with an Armenian character in the alphabet that starts with A (Ա) as in Asdouatz (God) and ends with K (Ք) as in Kristos (Christ) and the other 34 letters in between in their alphabetical listing. Vahe H. Apelian

 

Ա

O morning light

O thou righteous sun,

Shed on me thy light.

Բ

O Father’s Spirit,

Pour forth from my soul

Words pleasing thee.

Գ

Treasure of mercy,

Of thy hidden wealth

Make me a finder.

Դ

The door of mercy

Open thou for me,

With angels rank me.

Ե

Triune unity,

Provider of all,

Have mercy on me.

Զ

Lord, arise to help,

Make me, the benumbed,

Awake like angels.

Է

Father eternal,

Consubstantial Son,

Immortal Spirit.

Ը

Receive me, good Lord,

Receive, merciful,

Lover of mankind.

Թ

O king of glories,

That forgives all,

Forgive my offense.

Ժ

Gatherer of good,

Gather me likewise,

With the bands of saints

Ի

Implore thee, Lord,

That lovest mankind,

Grant health to my soul.

Լ

Be thou life for me,

Lighten my dark soul,

And dispel my pains.

Խ

Knower of counsels,

To my darkened mind

Give enlightened thoughts.

Ծ

O thou Father’s Son,

On my sombrous sould

Shed thy glorious light.

Կ

Life-giving savior,

Quicken my dead self,

Lift me from my fall.

Հ

Ground me in the faith,

Make me firm in hope,

Establish in love.

Ձ

I ask with my voice,

With my hands I beg,

Give me thy good gifts.

Ղ

With thy brilliant lamp,

O skillful pilot,

Hearten this coward.

Ճ

O glorious way,

Show me the straight way

To heaven to haste.

Մ

Father’s Only son,

Lead me to enter

Thy pure nuptial feast.

Յ

Coming in glory

In the fearful day,

Christ, remember me.

Ն

Renew’r of the old,

Make me also new,

Adorn me afresh.

Շ

Giver of good things,

Pray, remit my sins,

Grant me forgiveness.

Ո

Make me rejoice, Lord,

By saving my sould,

For which I sorrow.

Չ

Of th’evil sower,

Of his evil seeds,

Lord, wither the fruits.

Պ

Given of good things,

Grant me remission,

Of my heavy debts,

Ջ

Give tears to my eyes

Fervently to weep

And wash off my sin.

Ռ

Of thy sweet resin

Make my poor soul drink,

Lead me to thy light.

Ս

Jesus, love by name,

Crush thou with they love

My cold, stony heart.

Վ

For thy mercy’s sake,

In thy compassion

Make me live again.

Տ

Of thy vision, Lord,

Assuage my desired,

Beloved Christ Jesus.

Ր

Heavenly teacher,

Join this disciple

To celestial hands.

Ց

With thy blood as dew,

Lord, bedew my soul,

That I may rejoice.

Ւ

Languishing in sin,

Wearily I beg,

Lord, make me do good.

Փ

O savior of all,

From the temptations,

Of sins rescue me.

Ք

Օ cleanser of sins,

Cleanse me that I may

Sing glory to thee.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment