V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Manuel Keshishian: Aleppo January 1, 2016 (Հալէպ՝ Վերջին օր՝ Առաջին օր)

Attached is my translation of Yerevan Stage Institute graduate Manuel Keshishian’s article he posted on Civilnet and titled “Aleppo Last Day, First Day” (Հալէպ՝ Վերջին օր՝ Առաջին օր). Manuel Keshishian passed away in October 2022. He was an educator, playwright, author, and stage director, and was newly appointed as the principal of his alma mater, the A.G.B.U. Lazar Najarian-Calouste Gulbenkian Armenian Central High School in Aleppo, where he also taught Armenian. The original article is attached. This translation was first posted in Keghart.dot.com on January 8, 2016. Vahe H. Apelian 

Manuel Keshishian with students

This year, much like other years, the New Year for me started at 10 p.m. Aleppo time. It has always been like that for me, well before the advent of television. With our hearts beating louder than normal, we would await over the radio the herald of the New Year from Armenia.

I call Yerevan and congratulate the New Year to my wife and our younger child and through them to all the residents of Armenia. My younger son is angry. He threatens that he will really get mad at me if I do not keep my promise and pack my things and move to Yerevan at the end of the scholastic year.

"What are you doing?" asks my wife.

"I am at a friend’s house and we are waiting to welcome the New Year," I say.

My wife knows me well and she knows that I am lying and that I am home and by myself. I envision her sad smile and hear her caring and concerned voice.

"Do you have any means to keep yourself warm?" she asks.

"Of course. With a gas stove. You know how well they heat a house."

We admonish and advise each other.

It’s cold outside, real cold. I was returning home around 8 pm. There was not a living soul on the streets. I was in Nor Kyugh, the one-time heartland of the Aleppo Armenians. Nowadays it is half-deserted. In front of the Holy Trinity Church (Ս.Երրորդութիւն) our armed young men are keeping guard. Are they not cold? Don’t they have homes? Of course, they feel the cold. Of course, they have homes but they have volunteered to guard our churches. I stop for few minutes and watch them. They are preventing cars they do not recognize from parking in close proximity to the church. They check the identity cards of the passengers. I encounter the same scene around the Holly Mother of God Church (Ս.Աստուածածին).

I continue walking towards home. I cross the small old bridge. The road that leads to Ashrafieh is pitch-dark. The year before government forces dug a ditch along the road and hit the waterbed. As a result bushes started growing that have now covered the ditch and grown few meters tall. Crossing the street I have asked myself, more than once, with mock concern, should they continue to grow at this rate, how tall would they become? I salute the boys at the barricade who have put a fire and are trying to warm up.

In the darkness there some light glitters a few hundred meters away. It’s the light at the “Ma’abar Crossing”. The crossing is close to the Armenian and Christian cemeteries. It's open from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. allowing hundreds of people to cross from one side of Aleppo to the other passing through the Kurdish Sheikh Maksoud neighborhood and at times through the Armenian populated Jabel es Syde. Had there been light I would have seen the half-demolished buildings and the mosque of the Sheikh Maksoud neighborhood with its collapsed minaret. They cast a terrifying image.

Our street is deserted although it is illuminated, thanks to electricity supplied by generators. Today, at the dawn of the New Year, we will have the generators provide electricity and lights on the streets until 2 a.m. It’s a blessing. Isn't it?

I enter our home. Our house is colder than outside. The solitude makes the chill pierce the soul. Who knows how many will be welcoming the New Year all by themselves in Aleppo?

I turn the television to the H1 channel. I put on the halogen heater that barely warms up my upper right leg. I keep my right arm close to my right leg for warmth. I do not remove the gloves from my left hand. “No, it can’t be this way,” I say to myself. "Whatever will be, will be but it’s important that I buy a canister of gas and a stove. It will be a one-time purchase," I reason, and then I will start saving on the amperes of the private electric generator that supplies the electricity I use. This way, I conclude, I would solve the pressing issue. “Brother,” I say to myself, “my monthly salary is relatively high ($100). I live by myself. I also do odd jobs to make ends meet. How do those who have families cope?”

I push the papers, the books and the empty cigarette boxes and the ashtray on my desk to one side. It’s New Year's Eve. Is it not? I have purchased a few fruits. I place them on the desk. A house should be full on New Year's Eve so that the home will remain full throughout the coming year. Right before the New Year I watch the President of the Republic of Armenia’s New Year address that does not say much.

Happy New Year.

Standing upright, I also salute the New Year of my Fatherland. I change the channel and watch “Aleppo Today”. The opposition runs the channel. It describes the worsening situation on the other side of Aleppo. They have no electricity or water. The cost of living has escalated sharply and there is widespread insecurity. It’s the same situation, I think, on both sides of Aleppo. Yet, there is a difference. The rockets, the mortars and the gas canisters cause rampant destruction on this side; the bombs from the tanks and the barrel bombs and other bombs from the airplanes cause rampant destruction on the other side.

The first person to congratulate my New Year is an Arab teacher who lives in Dar El Ezze, 30 km away, close to Saint Simon [Stylite] Monastery. The area is in opposition's control. There a garbage collector is paid $200 a month and a teacher $50 a month.

"I congratulate your New Year," he says. "May next year by the grace of God…"

My telephone alerts me to another call. An Arab friend is congratulating my New Year. My friend has a heavy heart. It seems he will explode at any moment. He protests against everyone. He mourns the death of all the Syrian victims. Many and many years ago he experienced harsh treatment as a political prisoner. He has not forgotten his bitter experience. Nowadays he is a member of “Friends of Prisoners”, an association that supports political prisoners. Some regard him among the rank of opposition although he is against the killing, the injustice and all who bore arms that caused the destruction of Syria. According to him all are traitors.

"I believe you should also believe," he says, "that there will be a day in our fatherland when there will be festivity and all of us together will be celebrating as Syrians," he says.

I open my Facebook page. It's flooded with congratulatory notes. Everyone is congratulating everyone. I accept the congratulations as personally addressed to me. I murmur "Happy New Year."

I fall asleep. I wake up. It's January 1, 2016.

It’s cold outside, very cold. I linger in my bed for more than an hour pulling the blanket over me this way and that. I drink my coffee. It tastes much like it did yesterday. Much like yesterday, I hear sounds of explosion and gunfire. Shivering, I wash my hands and face and dress. I leave home. We have a 10 days' recess. I wish we had no vacation; I say to myself. At least for few hours, I would have been warm at school.

I step outside. A few children are hauling water. There is water in Aleppo nowadays, but that hallowed liquid does not reach every quarter. I hop on the bus. Have you commuted in Aleppo buses these days? Have your nostrils put up with the putrid smell emanating from bodies that have not bathed for months? The same smell is there today as it was yesterday or the day before and much like in the months before.

Most of the passengers are women and soldiers who are half asleep. The city is mostly women or armed men. The men, if they are not serving in the armed forces of one faction or another, have left the city to dodge the draft. Many college students have also left because they will not receive their diplomas if they do not serve the armed forces. Who are they going to fight? At whom are they going to aim their rifles? They rightly wonder the question.

"Are you sleepy?" I ask a young soldier.

Yes, they are sleepless. Yesterday they played a deadly game with fire and counter fire. The young conscript is a reservist. He is from Aleppo. Once a week he is permitted to spend twenty-four hours at home.

I come off the bus close to Towhed Mosque. I see people sweeping glass shards from the street. Yesterday an exploding gas canister, thrown at the neighborhood, shredded the shop windows and house windows. It is a common occurrence, an ordinary sight. Yesterday it was the same. It is the same today as well, on the first day of the year.

This is leap year. It will be one more day longer than the preceding year. I hope that day would be different for Aleppo, Syria, Armenia, and the world. I wish for at least on that day people would not harm each other; they would not kill each other but would extend helping a hand towards each other.

People, for a least one day, let us do justice to ourselves as MEN and WOMEN and act with civility towards one other. Only for one day. Is it too much to ask

Happy New Year.

Aleppo, January 1, 2016

 

*****

Հալէպ՝ Վերջին օր՝ Առաջին օր

 

Շնորհաւոր Նոր տարի:

 

Այս տարին ինչպէս ամէն տարի ինծի համար կը սկսի Հալէպի ժամով երեկոյեան ժամը 10ինՄիշտայդպէս եղած է , տակաւին հեռատեսիլէն շատ առաջ՝ երբ ձայնասփիւռէն սրտի տրոփիւնով կըսպասէինք Հայաստանի Նոր Տարեմուտը:

 

Կը հեռաձայնեմ Երեւանկը շնորհաւորեմ տիկնոջս եւ կրտսեր զաւակիսեւ իբր թէ յանձինս իրենցՀայաստանաբնակ բոլոր հայերուն եւ ոչ-հայերուն Նոր տարինՓոքր տղաս նեղացած է ինձմէան կըսպառնայ իրապէս նեղուիլ եթէ դպրոցական այս տարեշրջանի աւարտին եւս խոստումս չյարգեմ՝չփոխադրուիմ Երեւան:

 

-Ի՞նչ կընես,- կը հարցնէ կինս:

 

-Ընկերոջս տունը Նոր տարին դիմաւորելու կը պատրաստուինք,- կըսեմ:

Կինս շատ լաւ կը ճանչնայ զիս եւ գիտէ որ սուտ կը խօսիմգիտէ որ տունը առանձին նստած եմ:

 

Կը պատկերացնեմ իր տխուր ժպիտըկը լսուի գուրգուրոտմտահոգ ձայնը.

 

-Տաքնալու միջոց մը ճարեցի՞ր:

 

– Անշո՛ւշտկազով վառարանգիտե՞ս որքան լաւ կը տաքցնէ..

 

Մաղթանքներխորհուրդներ իրարու

 

Դուրսը ցուրտ էշա՛տ ցուրտԺամը ութն էր երբ տուն կը վերադառնայի փողոցը մարդ-մարդասանքչկարՆոր Գիւղն էիերբեմնի սիրտը Հալէպահայութեանհիմա՝ կիսադատարկ.. Ս.Երրորդութիւնեկեղեցւոյ առջեւ մեր զինեալ տղաքը կը հսկենՉե՞ն մսիրտուն չունի՞նԻնչպէս թէ չեն մսիրանշուշտտուն ունինբայց պարտականութիւն ստանձնած են պահպանել մեր եկեղեցիները:

 

Քանի մը վարկեան կը կենամ ու կը դիտեմանոնք կարգիլեն անծանօթ ինքնաշարժերու կանգնիլըեկեղեցիին մօտկը ստուգեն անցորդներու անձնագրերը:

 

Նոյն տեսարանը կը տեսնեմ Ս.Աստուածածին եկեղեցւոյ շուրջ:

 

Տուն քալելով կը բարձրանամփոքր հին կամուրջէն կանցնիմԱշրաֆիէ տանող այս ճամբան մութիմէջ կորած էնախանցեալ տարի այստեղ ճամբու ամբողջ երկայնքին պետական ապահովականմիջոցները խորունկ փոս մը փորեցինայդ փոսին մէջ ջուր յայտնաբերուեցաւորուն հետեւանքովվայրի բոյսեր աճեցանորոնք հիմա ծածկած են փոսը եւ մի քանի մեթր ալ բարձրացած են. -եթէ այսվիճակը երկարի ո՞ւր պիտի հասնի արդեօք այս բոյսերուն հասակը,- հեգնանքով ես ինծի հարցտուած եմ միշտԿը բարեւեմ փողոցի վերջաւորութեան անցարգելի տղաքըորոնք կրակ վառած կըփորձեն տաքնալԱյստեղ համատարած մութ էմիայն լոյս մը կերեւի երկու հարիւր մեթր անդին՝այս կողմէն այն կողմ երթալիք նորաբաց «մա՛ապար՝ անցք»ի զնման կէտի լոյսն էԱյս անցքը կըգտնուի հայկական եւ քրիստոնէական գերեզմանոցներուն շատ մօտիկեւ կը բացուի ամէն օրառաւօտեան ժամը 7էն կէսօրուայ մէկըեւ ուրկէ օրական հարիւրաւոր մարդիկ կրնան Հալէպի միւսկողմ երթալանցնելով քրտական Շէյխ Մագսուտ թաղամասէն՝ երբեմնի հայաշէն Ճէպէլ ԷսՍէյիտտէ-էն:

 

Եթէ լոյս ըլլար դէմս պիտի տեսնէի Շէյխ Մագսուտի մութի չափ սարսափազդու կիսաքանդ շէնքերը,առանց մինարէթի մնացած մզկիթը:

 

Մեր փողոցն ալ ամայի էթէեւ լուսաւորուած է ամփէրի լոյսովԵրբ տակաւին պետականելեկտրականութիւն կարդեռ հեռուէն կը գիտնայինք՝ եթէ փողոցի լոյսերը չեն վառիր ուրեմնպետական ելեկտրականութիւն ունինք… :

 

Այսօր Նոր տարուան առիթով ամփէրը մինչեւ առաւօտեան ժամը երկուքը պիտի ունենանք:Բախտաւորութիւն էչէ՞:

 

Կը մտնեմ տունՏունս դուրսէն աւելի ցուրտ էգումարած առանձնութեան հոգի ծակող ցուրտը:Քանի՞ հոգի Նոր տարին առանձին կը դիմաւորեն արդեօք Հալէպի մէջ

 

Կը միացնեմ հեռատեսիլը՝ Հ1: Կը միացնեմ նաեւ մէկ ամփէրանոց հալոճին լամբսոր նստածս ատենմիայն աջ ոտքիս միայն վերի մասը կը տաքցնէաջ ձեռքս ալ մօտիկ կը պահեմձախ ձեռքիսձեռնոցը ձեռքէս չեմ հաներՉէ՛ասանկ չըլլարի՛նչ կուզէ թող ըլլայ փիւթակազի շիշ մը եւ կազի»վառարան« մը պէտք է գնեմմիայն մէկ անգամ պիտի ծախսեմատկէ ետք ամփէրէն քիչ ծախսկըլլայԱյո՛այո՛պիտի լուծեմ այս խնդիրըԵղբա՛յր,- կը մտորեմիմ աշխատավարձսհամեմատական բարձր է (հարիւր տօլարառանձին մարդ եմծայրը ծայրին հասցնելու համարուրիշ գործեր ալ կաշխատիմընտանիք ունեցողները ի՞նչ կընենինչպէ՞ս կապրին

 

Գրասեղանիս վրայի թուղթերըգիրքերըսիկարէթի ձգուած պարապ տուփերըմոխրամանը մէկկողմ կը հրեմՆոր տարուայ գիշեր էչէ՞քանի մը հատ քանի մը տեսակ պտուղ գնած եմ,քաղրաւենիքկը տեղաւորեմՏուն մը լեցուն պէտք է ըլլայ Նոր տարուայ գիշերորպէսզի ամբողջտարին լեցուն մնայ: : Տարեւմուտին անմիջապէս առաջ կունկնդրեմ ՀայաստանիՀանրապետութեան նախագահին ուղերձը՝ Հայաստանցինրուն գրեթէ բան չըսող

 

Շնորհաւոր Նոր տարի:

 

Ես ալ յոտնկայս հեռուէ հեռու կը շնորհաւորեմ հայրենիքիս Նոր տարին:

Յետոյ կը փոխեմ կայանը. «Հալէպն այսօր» ընդդիմադիր կայանը կը նկարագրէ միւս կողմի Հալէպիվատթարագոյն վիճակը՝ ջուր եւ ելեկտրականութիւն չըլլալըահռելի սղութիւնըանապահովվիճակը… Նոյն կացութիւնն է,- կը մտածեմ.- այս կողմի եւ միւս կողմի Հալէպին մէջչէ՜կայտարբերութիւն մը այս կողմ արձակուած հրթիռներըհրասանդներն ու կազի շիշերը աւեր կըգործենայն կողմ՝ հրասայլէեւ օդանաւէ արձակուած ռումբերն ու պայթուցիկներով լեցունտակառները:

 

Այսպէս թէ այնպէս ժամը 12 կըլլայ:

 

Զիս առաջին շնորհաւորողը Հալէպէն 30 քիլոմեթր հեռու Սէն Սիմոնին մօտ՝ Տար Էլ Ը՛ըզզէ բնակողարաբ ուսուցիչ մըն էՀոն ընդդիմադիրներու գերիշխանութիւնն էՀոն աղբահաւաքը ամսականերկու հարիւր տօլար աշխատավարձ կը ստանայուսուցիչը յիսուն..

 

-Կը շնորհաւորեմ Նոր տարիդ,- կըսէ-. Տայ Աստուած գալ տարի….

 

Հեռաձայնս ազդանշան կու տայԱյլ արաբ ընկեր մը կը շնորհաւորէ Տարեմուտը.- Այս բարեկամիսսիրտը լեցուն էամէն վայրկեան պիտի պայթի կարծեսկը բողոքէ բոլորին դէմկը սգայ մահըՍուրիացի բոլոր զոհերունինք շատո՜նցշատ շատոնց որպէս քաղաքական բանտարկեալհամտեսած է դառնութիւններզորս չէ մոռցածՀիմա «բանտարկեալներու բարեկամներ» հասարակական կազմակերպութեան անդամ էՈմանք զինք ընդդիմադիրներու շարքը կը դասեն,մինչդեռ ինք դէմ է սպաննութեանանարդարութեանՍուրիոյ քանդումինամէն տեսակի զէնքերուն.բոլորին կողմէ գործադրուող բոլոր տեսակի բռնութիւններունըստ իրեն բոլորը դաւադիրներ են,բոլորը՝ մեր բարեկամ եւ եղբայր բոլոր պետութիւնները:

 

-Կը հաւատամ կըսէ,- Դո՛ւն ալ հաւատապիտի գայ այն օրը երբ մեր հայրենիքին մէջ ալ տօն պիտիըլլայտօնզոր բոլորս միասին պիտի տօնենք՝ միասին՝ բոլոր սուրիացիները:

 

… Այլոց հետ եւս փոխադարձ շնորհաւորանքներ

 

Կը բանամ դիմատետրի էջսշնորհաւորանքներով ողողուած դիմատետրի էջսԱմէնքը կըշնորհաւորեն ամէնքըԵս այս շնորհաւորանքները կընդունիմ որպէս անձնապէս ինծի ուղղուած եւկը մրթմրթամ.- Շնորհաւոր Նոր տարի:

 

Դուրսը ուրախութեան կրակոցներ ենորոնք կը խլացնեն պայթող հրասանդներու ձայները՝Շնորհաւոր Նոր տարի

 

Քնացած եմԿարթննամ: 2016 Յունուար 1:

 

Ցուրտ էշատ ցուրտՄէկ ժամէն աւելի կը մնամ պառկածվերմակս մէկ այսպէսմէկ այնպէսուղղելով:

 

Սուրճս կը խմեմԵրէկուայ սուրճին համն ունիԵրէկուայ պէս դուրսէն այսօր ալ կը լսուինկրակոցներու եւ պայթիւններու ձայներ:

 

Պաղելով-պաղելով կը լուացուիմ՝ երէկուայ նմանպաղելով-պաղելով կը հագնիմ զգեստներս եւերէկուայ նման տունէն դուրս կելլեմ: 10 օր արձակուրդ ենք: -Երանի արձակուրդ չըլլար,- կըսեմինքզինքիս-. Գոնէ քանի մը ժամ կը տաքնայինք դպրոցը

 

Դուրս կելլեմՔանի մը փոքրիկներ ջուր կը կրենՀալէպի մէջ ջուր կայ հիմաբայց կարգ մըշրջաններ չի հասներ այդ երանելի հեղուկը… Օթոպիւս կը նստիմԵրբեւիցէ տեղէ մը տեղ գացա՞ծ էքՀալէպի այս օրերու երթեւեկութեան այս միջոցովՁեր քիթին մտած եւ հոն ամրապնդուա՞ծ է անորմէջ բոյն դրած ամիսներով չլոգցած մարդկային մարմիններու արձակած հոտըԱյսօր ալ նոյն հոտըկայինչպէս երէկինչպէս քանի մը օր առաջինչպէս անցեալ ամիս

 

Օթոպիւսին մէջ կանայք են եւ քնաթաթախ զինուորներԱրդէն քաղաքին մէջ մեծ մասամբ կանայքեն կամ զինեալներԱյո՛մնացած տղամարդիկեթէ կողմերէն մէկուն բանակին մէջ չենհեռացած եներկրէն խոյս տալով զինուորական ծառայութենէնոյնիսկ մեծ թիւով ուսանողներ գացած ենորովհետեւ աւարտականի վկայականներ պիտի չստանան եթէ բանակին մէջ չծառայեն: – Որո՞ւ դէմպիտի պատերազմիմորո՞ւ վրայ պիտի կրակեմ,- կը մտածեն անոնցմէ շատեր:

 

Իրաւունք ունին:

 

-Անքո՞ւն էք,- կը հարցնեմ երիտասարդ զինուորի մը:

 

Այո՛ անքուն եներէկ գիշեր թշնամիներու հետ կրակոց-կրակոց մահասփիւր խաղ խաղցած ենԱյսերիտասարդը պահեստի զինուոր էՀալէպցի էամէն շաբաթ իրաւունք ունի 24 ժամ իր տունըանգընելու:

 

Թաուհիտ մզկիթին մօտ կիջնեմ օթոպիւսէնՓողոցը ապակիներ հաւաքող մարդիկ կը տեսնեմԵրէկ գիշեր այստեղ արձակուած կազի շիշ մը էջարդուփշուռ ըրած է խանութներու եւ տուներուապակիներըՍովորական տեսարանսովորական երեւոյթԵրէկ ալ նոյնն էրի՛նչ ընենք որ այսօրՆոր տարի էՅունուար 1, 2016 թուականՆահանջ տարի:

 

Նահա՞նջ տարի:

 

Նահանջ տարիՄէկ օր աւելի միւս տարիներէնԿը մաղթեմ որ գոնէ այդ մէկ օրը տարբեր ըլլայՀալէպի համարՍուրիոյ համարՀայաստանի համարԱշխարհի համարԿը մաղթեմ որ գոնէ այդ օրմարդիկ իրար չվնասենիրար չսպաննենիրար ձեռք մեկնենՄէ՛կ օրմարդիկմէկ օր գոնէ տէրըլլանք մեզի տրուած ՄԱՐԴ որակաւորումին եւ ՄԱՐԴԱՎԱՅԵԼ արարածներ ըլլանք:

 

Մէ՛կ օրՇա՞տ է:

 

Շնորհաւոր նոր տարի

 

Մանուէլ Քէշիշեան

Հալէպ 1 Յունուար 2016

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment