V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Saturday, September 9, 2023

September 8, 1945: Hovhannes and Zvart got married in Keurkune

Vahe H. Apelian

 

Hovhannes and Zvart Apelian

Facebook reminded me today that I had posted my parents’ formal wedding photograph they had taken in Beirut, after their wedding in their ancestral village Keurkune. Their wedding godparents were Mihran and Shoushan Tourigian who hailed from the Khoups village of Keghi. Their sons, Hratch and Hrayr became my and my brother’s baptismal god parents.  A history that has long unfolded now in our family.

What caught my attention is the anniversary card she has bought for them and presented to her husband writing on the card. 

“Dear Hovhannes

It is the 55th anniversary of our wedding tomorrow, 1945 September 8 -2000 September 8. Noiselessly passed many years. We do not know if we will have other (celebratory) decade. Let us thank God for the 55 years. Let us wish the good to all. May the Lord not separate us from each for long. Amen. May the remaining days be bearable

With love

Yours Zvart Apelian

She has signed a wedding anniversary card. Notably she has erased the letter Y from “your” making it “our” and added 55th, having the card read as follows,  addressed to "My husband & Myself".

Remembering you on you55th anniversary and hoping that you’ll find that your special day leaves happy memories behind.

Congratulations”

Your Zvart Apelian

September 8, 2000


Their deaths

My father Hovhannes, was born to Stepan and Sara (Moussajekian) Apelian on December 24, 1921, in Keurkune, Kessab. He passed away in a hospice on June 18, 2007. They had their 60th wedding anniversary but my father was bedridden. My mother was with him throughout, while I called her regularly on the land line in the room. My last call happened to be almost right after his death. I remember her choice of words conveying to me his death. After all she was the quintessential Armenian language teacher. «Շիշեցաւ», she said, using a verb that means "extinguished", "put out", such as to “put out the lamp” – Ճրագը շիջեցնել and is used figuratively.

My mother Zvart was born to Khatcher Chelebian and Karoun(Apelian), on September 2, 1924, in Keurkune, Kessab. She passed away peacefully on January 31, 2017, while seated on her chair at the Ararat Armenian nursing home, where she received tender loving care. 

Hovhannes and Zvart Apelian


No comments:

Post a Comment