V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Monday, August 3, 2026

Bosom friends, Karekin Sarkissian and Ardavazt Terterian

Vaհe H Apeliian

Karekin and Ardavazt are not their baptismal names. They are their priestly names. Recently I came across a few memorable pictures of them when they were young monks at the Catholicosate of See/Cilicia. I posted three from those pictures below. The rest were with others.  

Both were born and raised in Kessab. Ardavazt Terterian was born in 1930 in the village of Chakhaljekh in Greater Kessab. Karekin Sarkissian was born in 1932, in Kessab. Both entered the seminary at the same time and were ordained together. They rose in rank together. In time, Karekin Sarkissian was elected as Catholicos Karekin II and subsequently as Catholicos Karekin I of All Armenians. Archbishop Ardavazt Terterian became the long-time dean of the Antelias Seminary  having educated a cadre of priests serving the church and became a senior member of the Brotherhood of the Catholicosate of Cilicia.

Archbisho Mesrob Ashjian poignantly narrates the last hours of the ailing Catholicos Karekin II in his dying bed, where he makes a note of the bosom friendship of the two. I quote.  Those interested to read Archbishop Merob Ashjian remembrance of the last days of the Catholicos Karekin II, may read the attached.

Archbishop Mesrob Ashjian:

 “It was around 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Esther, his sister, and Nora, his sister-in-law, and I were alone with the Vehapar. Nora suddenly, thinking out loud said: "You know, I have heard that if a person who is on the verge of dying but hangs to dear life, means that he is waiting for someone special to visit him and keeps on waiting and waiting for that special person. Who is Vehapar waiting for? There was a picture of him with his mother next to his bed. Was Vehapar waiting for his mother to visit him? But he knew that his mother was 96 years old, frail and lived in Toronto. "Esther», I said, «go and talk to the Vehapar, about your mother, say that mother is in good health and is praying for his health." Esther answered, "I cannot do that." Mustering all my courage, I approached Vehapar and whispered in his ear. I felt that he heard me. 

- "Vehapar, Vehapar, your mother made a phone call from Toronto. She said that she heard about your recent health troubles. She is very concerned and prays for you...."

And I remembered that Vehapar addressed his mother  mume՛ in his native Kessab dialect. Suddenly I remembered the native Kessab song. Whenever the Vehapar was in a happy mood, he assumed the posture of a choir leader, a la Ganachian, and led an invisible choir, singing the popular Kessab folk song.

Suddenly and unexpectedly, I said to him."Vehapar, Archbishop Ardavazt (Terterian) called from Antilias. He has heard that your condition has worsened. He said he will come to see you, as soon as a flight is available from Beirut."

May God spare me. My last words to Vehapar were a lie. It was true that Catholicos Karekin had a special love for his friend of 55 years. They were compatriotic friends from Kessab, They were classmates in the seminary. They took their vows for monastic celibacy together. 

Was Vehapar waiting for his friend's visit? I didn't know. I took leave of him and left for Yerevan. Hardly three hours had passed when the telephone rang. 

- Srpazan, we lost Vehapar.”

July, 1999 


Link: Arch. Mesrob Ashjian, We Lost Vehapar - https://vhapelian.blogspot.com/2025/06/we-lost-vehapar-on-june-29.html

 

 



1 comment:

  1. Յուզական վերյիշում ընտրանիներէն

    ReplyDelete