Vaհe H Apelian
![]() |
| GURUMIA with film maker Hagop Manukian |
A few days ago, two friends, Vahig Vartabedian from Los Angeles, and Hrach Kalsahakian from UAE, brough to my attention an Instagram post that had to do with Boghos Shahmelikian’s book I translated and titled it “Dawn Armenian Pop Music.” Vahig Vartabedian is a musician and has been part of the music scene Boghos Shahmelikian had written about. Boghos. Had his book in Armenian titled, “ “. Hrach Kalsahakian published the my translation of Boghos Shahmelikian’s book.
The Instagram video posting was from Gurumira. This is what he said.
“How much do you know about Lebanon’s music scene and the Armenian Diaspora that helped it. Over the next few week, I will be in Beirut documenting this remarkable and often forgotten chapter of Lebanon’s cultural history.
If you are new here, I am GURUMIRA, a Lebanese Armenian musician. I was born in Beirut during the Civil War and after the Beirut port explosion on August, 2020, I left Lebanon and moved to Armenia.
But my story is not unique. During 1950’s, 60’s, and 70’s Armenian musicians played a definitive role in Lebanon’s music scene, forming dozens of bands and they played in legendary venues like Epi Club, La Fourmi, Le Temple, Caravan Serai, and Casino Du Liban and they helped create the sountdrack of an entire generation. But when the Civil War began, many were forced to leave and rebuild their lives elsewhere.
A few months ago, my friend and film maker Hakob Manukian, introduced me to the “Dawn of Armenian Pop Music”, a book that tells their story. As I turned the pages, I realized something. My journey is not unique. I had become part of the same history.
So, Hagop and I decided to return to Lebanon with a team of filmmakers and musicians to retrace these stories and preserve a chapter of Lebanon’s musical heritage before its lost.”
He went on saying, “If there are musicians, producers, venues or stories we should not miss, leave them in the comment. We like to hear from you.
And one last thing, on Friday August 17, I will be perfroming my first concert in Beirut since leaving Lebanon in 2020, in collaboration with Metro LA Madina, a venue, that has home to so many of my musical project.
Discount tickets are available through the link in my bio. I hope to see you there."
Those who are interested may view his video recording in Instagram.
Next: Boghos Shahmelikian and my translation of his book.

No comments:
Post a Comment