V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Sunday, July 5, 2020

WAVES OF FAMINE


Khajag Aintablian

Translated by Vahe H. Apelian

 

Khajag Aitablian is a dentist and lives in Anjar, the famed Armenian village of Lebanon. This week his daughter graduated junior high school. Khajag endearingly calls himself a doctor specializing in treating the ails affecting the Armenian nation and pens pungent humorous articles depicting aspects of our national life. He has a large number of followers who wait for his postings. Uncharacteristically today he penned the following verse.  I took the liberty of truncating some sentences for easing the translation and its flow.



 

Սովի Ալիքներ  (Waves of Famine)

 

Այս կիրակի կանխաւ ձեզմէ ( Precedingly, this Sunday)

ներողութիւն կը խնդրեմ, (I ask for your forgiveness)
Որովհետեւ փոխանակ ձեզ խնդացնեմ,  
(Because instead of laughter)
Այսօր երեւի թէ տխրեցնեմ... 
(It appears today, I may sadden you…)
Այս կիրակի ես պիտի դդում խորովեմ , 
(This Sunday I am roasting butternut squash) 
Որովհետեւ Լիբանանի մէջ (Because in Lebanon)

 ամէնէն աժան միսը հիմա (the cheapest meat now)

դդումի միսն է ( is the butternut squash meat).
Ի հարկ է իրարու միսը աւելի աժան է, 
(Of course, each other’s meat is cheaper)
Քանի որ այս երկրին մէջ 
(because in this country)

 մարդը դդումէն ալ աժան է.. ( a person’s meat is cheaper than butternut squash...)
Բայց այս տաքուն  
(But in this hot weather)

իրարու միս ո՞վ կուտէ... (who would eat another person’s meat….?)_

Դուրսը Հիմա սարսափելի տաք մը կայ ,  (There is an extremely hot weather, now,)
Այնքան որ 
(So much so)

 ալիքներուն մէջ նետուիլս կու գայ... (I feel throwing myself onto the waves…)
Ճիշդ Ծովային եղանակ է հիմա ։  
(It’s the  right season to go to a beach.)
Ծովը մօտ է , ալիք շատ կայ... (The beach is near, the waves are plenty….)
Բայց ինչ օգուտ երբ  
(But of what use ?)

ինքնաշարժիս մէջ կաթիլ մը պենզին չկայ , (there is not a drop of gas in my car,)
Գրպանիս մէջն ալ 
(and In my pocket)

հազիւ դդում գնելու գումար մը կայ ... (I have enough to barely purchase a butternut squash…) 
Որովհետև գործ չկայ։  
(Because there is no work.)
Չէ , ակռայ շինող այլեւս չկայ... (No, there is no one for dental work…)
Ի՞նչ ակռայ երբ ( What tooth ! )

 երբ որ շուկան ծամելու բան չկայ... (when there is nothing in the market to chew…)
Քանի օր է կը նկատեմ թէ 
(It’s been a few days I noticed that,)

փողոցները նոյնիսկ շուն չկայ, (there are not even dogs on the streets,)
Որովհետեւ աղբամաններուն մէջ  (Because in the waste dumpsters)

ճաշերու մնացորդ թափող ալ չկայ... (there is no leftover to throw)
Այս օրերուն  
(In thes days)

որո՞ւն ճաշը կ'աւելնայ ... (who has left over food?)

 

Ամէն տարի ես այս ատեն (Every year this time)

 ծով կ'երթայի (I woud go to the beach.)
Ալիքներուն ձայնը կը լսէի , 
( I would hear the sounds of waves..)
Կը հրճուէի
... ( I would enjoy…)
Այս կիրակի տունը նստած 
(This Sunday sitting in my house)

 սառնարանին դատարկութիւնը կը դիտեմ, ( I watch my empty refrigerator,)
Սովի ալիքները Կ'ունկնդրեմ... 
(and hear the sound of waves…)
Իսկ մթնոլորտին մէջէն (but from the atmosphere)

արդէն դդումի հոտ կ'առնեմ ,  ( I smell roasted butternut squash,)
Բայց այս տաքուն  
(But in this hot weather)

ի՞նչ դդում... (What roasted butternut squash…?)
Այսպէս եթէ շարունակուի 
(If it continues this way)
Ես ալ «իրարու միս» պիտի ուտեմ։ 
( I will also devour " each other’s meat".)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment