V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2024

The Arshakunis: The legend of king Arshak – 4/7 –

Read the attached translated story and derive your own conclusion from the legend of King Arshak II (350-367 CE) as depicted in the Simon Simonian’s history book, lesson 8th fifth grade elementary Armenian school students. Note Simon Simonian narrated the legend depicting the Armenian Arshakuni king as Arshak I, (Ե. Սարի, Ը. Դաս, Արշակ Ա.). Simon Simonian has presented the story noting that «this story tells us about the appeal of the Armenian soil and water.» Lately, decades after having read the story during my impressional childhood, the same story has been popping in my mind for another reason and that is the dichotomy the Armenians display in the Diaspora as a exemplary citizens and as Armenian press pundits, but not in Armenia or for matters pertaining to Armenia hurling adjectives to the Armenian elected officials the same pundits never did and would not do when writing about the elected officials of their Diaspora countries. The following picture emerges in my mind. Armenians presenting themseleves in the best manner, tidying their home to recieve and entertain their odar  guests, but not according the same to their country Armenia and to their countrymen, Armenians. I thank Sassoun Simonian from Lebanon and Levon Sharoyan from Aleppo for forwarding me copies from Simon Simonian's history book. Read the story and derive your own conclusion from the legend whether we are affected by a King Arshag Syndrome.  Vahe H Apelian

The cover of the Simon Simonian's history book

“The Persian king Shapur (Shabouh in Armenian), called his shamans and told them – “I wanted to love the Armenian king Arshak, but he offended me. I signed a peace treaty with him, he swore on the bible, but reneged his solemn declaration. I thought of bestowing upon him much good, much like a father would do to his son. However, instead of reciprocating in kind, he was spiteful towards me. The Armenian king Arshak has been waging war against me for the past thirty months. We could never defeat him. He has come with his own accord. If I knew that he would remain loyal to our treaty, I will let him return to his country in peace and with honor.”

His shamans answered to king Shabouh – “let us go today, tomorrow we will have an answer for you.”

The following day the shamans got together and asked the monarch – “now that the Armenian king has come and is with you, how does he talk to you? How does he sound? How does he present himself to you?”

The monarch said – “he regards himself as one of my servants and he tries to humble himself before me.”

The shamans said – “Do whichever way we tell you to do. Keep him here. Send emissaries to the Armenian land and get from there two loads of soil and a jar of water.  Order that they spread the Armenian soil on half of your court. Hold his hands and walk with him on part of the court that is on the Persian soil and quiz him there. Later on, holding his hand, take him towards the court that is on the Armenian soil and pay attention to what he says. This way you will know if you let him loose, whether he will abide by your treaty or not. If he speaks defiantly on the Armenian soil, know that when he returns to Armenia, he will treat you likewise. He will continue the war and his enmity towards you.”

Upon hearing the recommendations of his shamans, the Persian king sent people to Armenia to bring Armenian soil and water loaded on camels. They returned after a few days and brought Armenian soil and water.  King Shabouh ordered to spread the Armenian soil under half of the court and sprinkle it with water from Armenia. He ordered that the other half of the court remain on Persian soil. King Shabouh summoned the Armenian king and had all others leave the court. He held king Arshak’s hand and continued pacing in the court.

Pacing in the court, Shabouh asked the Armenian king, when they were on the Persian soil: “why did you become my enemy, King Arshak of Armenians. I liked you as a son and I wanted to give my daughter to you in betrothal and have you as a son. But you became my enemy. It has been thirty months that you waged a war against me.”

Arshak said to Shabouh – “I sinned against you. Now, here I am as your servant and at the disposal of your hands Do, whatever you want to do. Kill me, because I, as your servant, am much guilty in front of you. I am convicted to death.”

Later, King Shabouh holding King Arskak’s hand, paced taking him along towards the Armenian soil all the while making amends. When Arshak stepped on the Armenian soild, he changed greatlhy and he became defiant, boastful and said – “Get away from me, you wicked master, you became an overlord. From now on, I will avenge you and your sons. I will not relent until our throne is given back to us.”

Shabouh again held Arshak’s hands and paced toward the court which was over the Persian soil. At that moment Arshak repented for what he said. Bowed and threw himself at the feet of King Shabouh. But when, holding King Arshak’s hands the Persian king paced towards the side of the court on the Armenian soil, Arskak spoke the same way he had spoken when he was on the Armenian soil. In this manner until the evening, Shabouh did the same many times and tested. King Arshak was rebellious on the Armenian soil but repentful on the Persian soil. 

Later in the day, King Shabouh ordered and had iron chains brought and had Arskak’s neck, arms and legs chained and had him sent to the Anhoush (forgotten) castle to remain there until his death.”

***




 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment