V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Reverberations of a teacher

Vahe H Apelian

 

Mrs Zvart Apelian with students

Last week or so, I received two Facebook messages and the following comments were brought to my attention.  They had to do about their one-time teacher Mrs. Apelian, my mother Zvart Apelian, who was better known by her students as Mrs. Apelian (Digin Apelian in Armenian). One of them was her namesake, Zvart. The pictures are from her teaching days at Shamlian-Tatigian Armenian Evangelical Schools.


***

Zvart: R u the son of Digin Zvart Apelian? All Shamlian Tatigian students adored her.

 

Me: Yes, how do you know of her? It's wonderful to hear that she was liked so much by her students. But let me tell you something. When it came to education and educating young Armenian students, she could not put the distinction whether they were her sons or her students and interestingly she was not aware of it.

 

Zvart: I lost my father when I was 10 years old. It was new when I went back to school. In her class she was teaching, and I was crying nonstop. She noticed me, stopped her teaching, called me to stand next to her and to tell her and to the class why I was crying. I still remember that minutes, when I was telling my story հեկեկալով (Sobbing). Your mom was full of compassion. She had a heart of gold. It is so interesting that I came across to write to her son. From my childhood, at that time I was 4th grade. I only remember that incident, because she lavished on me love , love and only love:

 

Zvart: We only knew about her that she had 2 sons, nd a husband. Then I heard that she has lost her husband. Then I heard that she lost one of her sons.

 

Me: yes, she lost her son before her husband. …..Zvart, you made her day. 



***

Hrip: I was very delighted to have found your post and will make sure to follow your blog … 

I spoke to my daughter about my favorite teacher your mom, she left a great impact on me indeed …

Be well 🙏

 

Me: Thank you


***


Hilda: Good old days when we were young and worry free. How we loved you then dear Mrs. Apelian and we still love you. Your teaching discipline and caring towards your students whom you treated like your children were extraordinary. God bless you my dear teacher.





***


Silva:  Our ideal teacher, Digin Apelian.


***


 

My mother's last picture at the Ararat Nursing Facility, in LA
Courtesy  Michael Apelian


No comments:

Post a Comment