V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Friday, October 15, 2021

The Granddaughter, Arin C.

Vahe H. Apelian

 

 

Arin Chekijian

A few months ago, I received a Facebook message from a reader. In fact, it was on August 4, 2021, when Aric C. messaged me letting me know that she had  happily come across my translation of one of her grandfather’s stories. I, in turn, was pleasantly surprised to hear from the granddaughter of one of my favorite short storyteller Philip Zakarian. She also let me know that family has set up a site (https://philipzakarian.com) to compile their  grandfather Philip Zakarian’s stories. 

As to Philip Zakarian, he was born on July 21, 1916, in Beylan, Turkey and has passed away on March 21, 1976, in Beirut, well before Arin was born. He was orphaned at a very young age and grew up under the care of the Birds’ Nest orphanage in Jbeil (Byblose), Lebanon . The stories that he had published were compiled in two volumes titled “The Orphan Built a House” (1972) and “The Vigil of the Last Opran“ (1974).   They were thus published during the last five years of his life immortalizing him as one of the superb story tellers of the post genocide generation. Post humorously, in 1985, the Catholicosate of Antelias compiled all his literary works in a three-volume sequel. The story I had translated was an excerpt from his last  book.(http://vhapelian.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-orphan-built-house-chilren-of.html)

Recently I read in “Hairenik Weekly” an interview that was conducted with Arin C. by Marina Hamamjian. Coincidentally the interview had taken place on August 3, 2021, the day before she had messaged me and I had acknowledged the message. But little did I realize then that Arin C., Arin Chekijian, is an accomplished painter in her own right, although she claims that she is an enthusiastic art lover and not an accomplished painter. I pray that she may not object titling my blog the way I did. 

I have attached an abridged translation of excerpts from that interview. The original interview is linked at the end of my abridged  translation.

Q. Please briefly present yourself

A. I am bornin Lebanon, in 1985. I have attended Yeghish Manougian College. After my graduation I  attended Haigazian College and majored in biology. I continued my education at the American University of Beirut and received my master’s in science degree in neuroscience. I have worked in different fields, not all of them had relevance to my specialization. But painting remains my preference. 

Q. What does painting or art, in general mean to you?

A. For me the painting has no boundaries……Painting is a means and has myriads way for  expression. A person can pour a paint on canvas and explore. That is to say without having thought ahead of time what to paint….freedom (of expression) dominates art…..Art always renews, refreshes and keeps our sentimental world alert and gives meaning and worth to our existence.

Q. How long have you been painting? When was your talent for painting revealed?

A. Painting has been my preference since my childhood, especially during my school years. However, later on, during my college years and because of work and other pursuits, time became a constraint and I stopped painting for 10 or more years. It is only recently that I have resumed to be more active in painting. 

Q. Why did you start to be more actively creative?  What motivated you?

A. I resumed painting some four years ago. Painting or drawing have always been in my mind, especially that they are my preference. Particular events in my life compelled me to express myself in art. Our emotions, be it of joy or sadness, even our daily sentiments are best expressed in art. In my case it is painting  where I can express all of my life’s experiences

Q. In your specialization, what type of painting you advocate?

A.  I have to note that I have not specialized in the art of painting, because I have no specialized training in painting. I have no degree to that affect. During my childhood I attended Hamazkayain “Toros Roslin” academic institution. But it was not a regular attendance. Consequently, I do not have any diploma for art.

As to my innate preference for paining, I like art in general, not only as a means to be creative, but that I simply like art. Whenever I am engaged in my creative work, I do not like to be bound by any school of art but experiment with new novel ways because nowadays, as we see, art is not only a repetition of classical expressions, but is varied.  I mostly use a mixture of water and acrylic painting techniques. I experiment painting on rocks. My interests are varied. What is important to me is the time I am creative and not necessarily the outcome, nor as to what school of painting I follow.

Q: Has there been a happening or an invent that has inspired you to choose this form of  art expression? Or is it that the innate talent for painting in you?

A: - Since my childhood, painting has been my daily pastime. I remember in my childhood, especially during the Lebanese Civil War, there were no particular ways for passing time for the children. Consequently, my parents would encourage me to paint to pass time and that became common place in my parental household.  I also remember Yeghishe Maougian College organized art exhibitions and our teachers encouraged us to participate. As I had noted earlier, in spite of the fact that  I stayed away from painting for some time, but I can attest that the desire for painting always remained strong in me. When I came to the realization that I was not content with all aspects of my life, I resumed painting and it gradually flourished in me not only as a daily pastime but as an endeavor for art.  When I start painting, I am not constrained by time. I paint whenever I can devote time and I devote all my free time to painting. 

Q: Cities in general predominate in your paintings, especially the city Bourj Hamoud, in such mesmerizing and detailed presentation. 

A: People live in cities, consequently there is life there. There are cities that are no longer inhabitable. Its one-time residents for one reason and another have abandoned it. Such cities for me are also full of life, although it might be that only trees are growing there nowadays because they mean to me that there was life there at one time. In my paintings I have not presented stones only, even if it depicted an uninhabited city, but I have visualized life there with its daily tempo and it has been my wish that their day-to-day life is a happy one.  I strive to capture life as it is, but that it is a productive life. I would like to envision the household members content. I realize not everyone can be happy, but it is my wish that they are content. That is why I present my paintings in color. 

As to Bourj Hamoud, it is our second fatherland, it is our home, even though we may not live there. I believe Bourj Hamoud is the bastion of the Armenian Diaspora, and the citadel that unites Armenians even though they may be of different generations, from the past to the present. Whenever we speak of Lebanon, Bourj Hamoud comes to our minds. For me it is not the present only, nor is the past, but it is the life that the genocide survivors and their descendants carved for themselves in there. I wish that Bourj Hamoud remains a favorite for all and that its residents are happy and content.  



Q: Did you decide to paint about Bourj Hamoud after the August 4, catastrophic explosion?

A: I already had paintings about Bourj Hamoud well before the Ausgut 4, catastrophic explosion. The Lebanese explosion was much like a reflection of the concerns and turmoil in each person. I am sure, if the person is creative, the explosion would have become more of a reason to do so. But in my case, my paintings about Bourj Hamoud had nothing to do with the explosion. The confinement that came about because of the coronavirus, gave me the opportunity to have discretionary time at my hand. Naturally, I devoted that time to painting. 

Q: Is one of your paintings about Bourj Hamoud that you like most?

A: There is a building in Bourj Hamoud and has has a patisserie, called “Nouga” at its ground level, which is well known. The building nowadays is referred to as Nouga’s building. I can say that my painting of that building is symbolic of the theme of my paintings. Not only for the outcome of the painting but also for the emotions it has elicited in the viewers. Many people have conveyed to me their emotions seeing it. Even the lady who runs the pastry got in touch with me. 

During the coronavirus confinement that building spread joy with music not only to the Lebanese Armenians but Armenians across the Diaspora. The building is located at an intersection and anyone who visits Bourj  Hamoud will most likely come across it. The building reflects life in many aspects.


Q:  Besides depicting cities in your paintings, do you have other depictions?

A: After visiting Armenia I have paintings depicting what I saw there and painted later. I have paintings that depict nature in Armenia as well as in Lebanon. I also have abstract paintings. I have also other themes. As I had mentioned earlier, I have paintings on pebbles, seashells, rice grains. 

Q: In your works the harmony of colors stands out. Please elaborate about it.

A: When I resumed painting I did not necessarily have color in mind and that my paintings should be in vivid colors only. That evolved naturally. I do not like dark color or darkness itself. I want to do away with darkness. I always like to be in bright and colorful places, and I believe we can express our emotions better with vivid colors, which necessarily are not unconditionally associated with joyful or sad moments. As I had noted earlier that our inner emotions are not joyful always, not only because of the turmoil in Lebanon but also because of state of our fatherland Armenia, Artsakh. We remain concerned. Therefore, when I am sad, I try to depict my emotional burst with vivid colors, in a harmonious, and detailed depictions.  


Q: Have you participated in exhibitions? Please tell us about them.

A: I have not participated in many exhibitions. The last time I participated was an exhibition organized by Hamazkayin for young and upcoming artists. Before that I participated in group exhibitions organized by the American University of Beirut.  I have not had any solo exhibition. But I have participated in exhibitions intended for art sale. 

Q: Have you had a teacher who has influenced you and has helped you nurture and bring about your latent talent?

A: During my school years in Yeghishe Manougian Colege, I had an art teacher whose is Shoghig Oulashian (Շողիկ Ուլաշեան) who used to encourage me and has left an indelible impression on me. I would like to note that that Shoghig Oulbashian is a well known artist and has organized many art exhibitions. 

Q: Who are your favorite painters, whether in the Armenian art world or world -wide?.

A: I like the art works of Mardiros Sarian (Մարտիրոս Սարեան) and Lucine Tutuanjian (Լիւսի Թիւթիւնճեան). I remain captivated by their vivid and harmonious use of colors. I like the paintings of Paul Gauguin. I am also interested and follow the art works of the young and upcoming I come across in the social media. It might be that the echoes of their works have not reached us, but they have devoted followers of their own. 

Q: Do you think art influences a person and brings about change in the person?

Q: Of course, without a doubt it is so. There are many such examples. I attest to it personally, that art brings about change in a person. Because the use of the hands go hand in hand with the use of our brain. Consequently, it influences of psychology because when a person is engaged in creative work, the person sheds light on itself  and, why not, on another person as well.  We, as Armenians are known as a hard-working people. Experiencing creative work is rewarding in itself. The outcome does not matter as much, nor recognition does. The important thing is the act itself that can also affect others and bring change in our lives as well. If we are not going to preserve our culture and not be creative, what are we then to do?

Q: Do you have plans for the future?

A: I have to be candid in answering the question you pose now. To be honest and realistic, I will have to say that I have no plans. But had you asked me the question a year ago, I would have told you that my wish is to settle in Artsakh, and continue painting there. Let me state that regarding Artsakh, my conviction is that we will be reunited again and that we should not be disappointed and that we should keep our hopes alive.

 Note:

The link to the original interview (https://hairenikweekly.com/2021/08/03/47815 )

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this beautiful interview of Dr. Vahe with Aren... The questions are hearty as well as the answers ...
    Arin's paintings about Lebanon are very detailed, impressive, optimistic... in spite of Arin Chekijian the scientist had unhappy days during the war of the 1970s... I like her answer in the last line "We keep our hopes alive"...Yes, I say, 'no other way in this is life'.

    I like to thank Dr. Vahe Apelian to say, "You like to motivate people for their best, letting them express their inner painful feelings freely, it is a great personality, not everyone can possess ... Dr. Apelian You are born psychotherapist.

    Regarding hands, I say "Hands~Hands the god of man"

    A stanza from my poetry book "Angel Lilit Lilting via Internet" about Armenian girls:
    "Armenian girls: their hands’ point...s to blue skies.
    And are small and soft yet can do hard tasks.
    Can engrave, can knit, and maintain carts…
    When rain is soaking the pavement all around."

    Arin keeps writing her name on the paintings in Armenian she is proud of in spite of knowing many languages.



    ReplyDelete