V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

A Blogger’s Thanks

A Blogger’s Thanks
Vahe H. Apelian


Blog, Blog, Blogging and blogger.

Merriam Webster dictionary defines blog as “a regular feature appearing as part of an online publication that typically relates to a particular topic and consists of articles and personal commentary by one or more authors”. As a verb blog means,” to write a blog”; and thus blogging is the act. The person who blogs is called a “blogger”. 

The word blog is a relative newcomer into the English language lexicon. According to Wikipedia ”The term "weblog" was coined by Jorn Barger on 17 December 1997. The short form, "blog", was coined by Peter Merholz, who jokingly broke the word weblog into the phrase we blog in the sidebar of his blog Peterme.com in April or May 1999.  Shortly thereafter, Evan Williams at Pyra Labs used "blog" as both a noun and verb.”

I became a blogger on March 4, 2017 when I posted my first article in my personal blog site that I initiated on the same date. Little did I know then that my blog site would tell me how many read my posting and from where. Today I found out that my blogs were read in the United States, Canada, Germany, Lebanon, Armenia, Bulgaria, Ireland, United Kingdom, Australia, France, Netherlands, Portugal, Greece, Argentina, Russia, Sweden and Syria.

Not only my blog site tells me how many people read a particular blog but it also tells me what operating systems readers used for reading, such as Macintosh, iPhone, Android, iPad, Windows etc. I also found out that most have come across my blogs through Face book. 
Did you note? I said  “blog” but not “article”. It’s a new brave world out there and I need to keep pace with the times. Honestly speaking, I find being a blogger liberating because I do not need to measure my blogs by a writer’s yardstick.



Thus far I have posted 13 blogs in March, 14 in April and 3 thus far in May. Today I also found out that my blogs have had a cumulative exactly 10,000 reads. Of course I do not mean to say 10,000 readers. The numbers of readers of my blogs have varied from 1115 to 115, my very first blog.

I thank all those who have opted to read my blogs instead of doing something else at that moment. Hopefully you found something there that made the time you devoted worth your while.



No comments:

Post a Comment