V.H. Apelian's Blog

V.H. Apelian's Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Worcester, MA – For Armenian Americans it's “The Mother Community”- 1

Vahe H. Apelian

 


Recently Worcester, MA came under spotlight thanks to “America Got Talent” show.  Rarely, in my view and experience, has the city of Worcester had such a national exposure. Although the city was recently noted that it ranks among the most livable city, it remains overshadowed by its famous sister city, some 35 miles east of it Boston, America’s most historic city.

 But for the Armenian in America, Worcester, MA is the “Mother Community” where the Armenian Americans started organizing themselves as a community. I quote from my blog titled “Wooster is Haleb”, where I noted: “… if there is a temporal and a geographical point of refence about which the Armenian American existence coalesces in the New World, that undoubtedly would be Worcester, MA, made famous by Dr. Hagop Martin Deranian’s book titled “Worcester is America". “Wooster” and “Haleb” are the Armenian soundings of the two cities where the roots of Armenians run deep. Those interested by read the blog, by click on the following link: http://vhapelian.blogspot.com/2022/06/wooster-is-haleb.html

In my next blog of this sequel, I will quote what James H. Tashjian wrote about Worcester, MA in his booklet “A Bicentennial History of the Armenian Community of Massachusetts”. The booklet was published in 1976 by the Armenian Bicentennial Committee of Massachusetts. The booklet was gifted to me by my HS classmate Ohan Armenian who did his graduate studies in Tufts in Boston.

As to the person who put Worcester on the spotlight. I quote the following By Drew Weisholtz, on July 12, 2023, 9:59 AM EDT / Source: TODAY

“A blind singer who has autism has taken “America’s Got Talent” by storm. Lavender Darcangelo, 27, wowed the audience and judges with a stirring performance on the July 11 episode of the NBC series. For her audition, she sang “Out Here on My Own” by Irene Cara and earned a standing ovation from the judges and the audience.”

“That was sensational,” Simon Cowell said. “Everything about that was just magical. Magical. You have such a talent. You have such an amazing personality.” “This is an audition I’ll never forget,” he added.

Indeed so. The lyrics of the song she sang is the following:

Sometimes I wonder where I've been,

Who I am, 

Do I fit in.

Make believein' is hard alone,

Out here on my own.

We're always provin' who we are,

Always reachin'

For that risin' star

To guide me far

And shine me home,

Out here on my own.

When I'm down and feelin' blue,

I close my eyes so I can be with you.

Oh, baby be strong for me;

Baby belong to me.

Help me through.

Help me need you.

Until the morning sun appears

Making light

Of all my fears,

I dry the tears

I've never shown,

Out here on my own.

But when I'm down and feelin' blue,

I close my eyes so I can be with you.

Oh, baby be strong for me;

Baby, belong to me.

Help me through.

Help me need you.

Sometimes I wonder where I've been,

Who I am,

Do I fit in.

I may not win, 

But I can't be thrown,

Out here on my own,

Out here on my own.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment